Axis or promotion area
Exports
Escrito por:

ProColombia Prensa

Comparta o síganos en:
FacebookTwitterInstragramYoutubeTick TockLink

Colombian Flowers Take Center Stage on Valentine's Day in the United States

Colombian pink flowers

Through a joint effort between ProColombia and the country's business association, during 2023, Colombia reaffirmed its position as one of the leading world exporters of flowers, with total exports of USD $2,096 million, showing a growth of 2% compared to 2022, according to figures from the DANE (National Administrative Department of Statistics).
 
The United States was consolidated as the main destination, with 79% of Colombian flower exports and a value of USD $1,661 million, followed by Canada with USD $67.7 million (3%), the United Kingdom with USD $64.5 million (3%), the Netherlands USD $55.7 (2.7%) and Japan with USD $47.1 (2%).
 
Among the products most demanded by the US market are flowers and buds for bouquets, roses, pompons and carnations, hydrangeas, among others.
 
The Valentine's Day and Mother's Day seasons are key moments for this sector, in which Colombian companies concentrate their efforts.

 

One of them is Karen Lorena Ortegón, CEO of Yakaren. “Of our international market, 80% of exports are directed to the United States and the other 20% between Europe and Asia. ProColombia has helped us a lot. The support they have given me in the process has been magnificent. Their invitations to the fairs open many doors for us. For example, when they did the business matchmaking forums, they were the showcases for us as small producers to show ourselves to the international market.”

 

On the other hand, Carolina Novoa, Commercial Manager of Flores Silvestres (Wild Flowers), highlighted that “ProColombia has always been a great ally in our export process. We have participated in several business matchmaking forums and for this we have obtained contacts and alliances that have helped us to grow. In addition, ProColombia has given us the opportunity to make visits and commercial agendas in countries that are of interest to us to export. We have toured the United Kingdom, creating strong alliances for export and we also have visits to Argentina and Uruguay that are within our main markets''. 
 
The commitment to sustainability is also evident, as more than 50% of the flowers exported by Colombia have the Florverde Sustainable Flowers certification, promoting responsible practices within the industry. With these figures and data, Colombia demonstrates its importance and leadership in the global floriculture market.

 

“The commitment and collaboration between the actors of the sector have paved the way for our Colombian flowers to position themselves in the foreign market. We will continue to join efforts for the internationalization of products from Colombia, the Country of Beauty," said Carmen Caballero, president of ProColombia, the promotion agency of the country, part of the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Tourism. 

 

The Country of Beauty remains one of the nations with the greatest diversity of flowers in the world. According to Ceniflores, we have 1,600 varieties of flowers and 60 different species.
 
ProColombia and the Internationalization of Companies
 
ProColombia has several programs and strategies to help Colombian entrepreneurs export. Among them are the Internationalization Factories, which is an initiative that seeks to increase non-mining and energy exports, promote export culture, and expand the exporting business fabric.
 
On the other hand, it also has spaces like Futurexpo, meetings that are in line with the pillars to boost non-mining sales abroad. These are summarized in the promotion of exports of MSMEs; more territories contributing to non-mining and energy exports (with a special focus on PDET areas and municipalities with less than 200,000 inhabitants); more sales to Latin America and the Caribbean; more goods and services with added value abroad, and the support for economic units of differential population such as ethnic groups, women, youth, LGBTIQ+ community, indigenous people and victims of the armed conflict.
 
In addition, they hold national Business Rounds and international business matchmaking forums to bring together the national export offer with international buyers.
 
All this, following the roadmap of the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Tourism, with whose support it seeks policies with social, economic and environmental justice under the priorities of the Colombian Government, the National Development Plan, the Reindustrialization Policy and the Foreign Policy.

 

Aliados estratégicos

APC colombia
ipd
TFO Canada
Colombia productiva
Innpulsa
fontur
Image
Logo procolombia
Image
colombia es pais
Image
min-c-i